Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Hiking at Hau’ula

One of the things I wanted to do more of during my vacation was hiking. Unfortunately, I only got to go hiking once, but it was definitely a nice hike. In the Hau’ula Forest Reserve, Matt and I hiked the Hau’ula Loop Trail, which Matt had hiked before. I believe it is rated as a “moderate” hike, which makes sense. The trail is 2.75 miles long, and reaches an elevation of 700 feet, but only after several ups and downs. Part of the trail includes needle-covered switchbacks through ironwood trees and Norfolk and Cook pines. Another part of the trail winds though ironwoods, koa and noni trees. At the highest ridge, there are lovely views into Kaipapau Gulch, as well as towards the coast of the North Shore. Different spots along the trail also offer views of the coast and nearby mountains.




No comments: