Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Dole Plantation


The Dole Plantation was a nice way to spend a couple of hours. Matt and I made it through the maze in just under an hour. The maze is even bigger than it was in 2001, when it was officially the World’s Largest Maze. They now have 8 secret boxes spread throughout the maze, and visitors can compete for the fastest time in finding all 8. Our hour didn’t come even close. If I remember correctly, the fastest time on record is about 7 minutes. I’m guessing that was done by someone who had been there before and studied the map you can get at the end (or if you don’t want to bother competing).

I poked around the garden a bit, but didn’t take the tour or train ride. Four neat items there are signposts that point to different locations and show the distances.


The store has loads of things to look at and buy, including pineapples. I had some pineapples shipped home to give as thank-you gifts to my neighbors and the coworker that picked me up at the airport. And I kept a couple for myself, of course. Those pineapples were wonderful – I’ve never tasted any that sweet before. They also make something called Dole Whip, which is basically a soft-serve pineapple ice cream. That stuff is seriously yummy. I actually stopped by the plantation one afternoon when I was on my own, just to get another bowl.

No comments: