Pages

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

If Its Not One Thing, Its Another

Poor Reyna. The pups are boarding this week while I’m in Delaware. I dropped them off Sunday mid-morning, and on Monday morning, the hotel called. Reyna had a tapeworm, so they had to pull her from camp, take her over to Banfield for treatment, and keep her out of camp for 24 hours. They did some individual play time with her, and I told them to have Duncan join them during those sessions. Monday evening, I checked on her, and she’d had a relatively quiet day. Unfortunately, the meds made her sick, and she had an upset tummy. Tuesday morning, though, she ate all of her breakfast and they let her go back to camp.

Tuesday evening, I received the results of Reyna’s allergy test. She is mildly allergic to Vernal grass, Sage, Curvularia fungus and horse hair. She is severely allergic to the following:

Grass:
Bermuda
Redtop
Timothy
Johnson

Weeds:
Ragweed
Pigweed
Lamb’s Quarters
Waterhemp

Trees:
Box Elder/Maple
Walnut
Mulberry
Birch

Fungi:
Alternaria
Cladosporium
Penicillium
Pullularia

Other Things:
Housedust/mites
Wool
Tobacco Smoke
Cockroaches

Now, some of these things, I don’t even know what they are. But some are going to be an issue. Anyone who has been to my house knows that dust is a massive problem. On the upside, her allergies are a good reason to make sure no one smokes in the house, as well as just another reason to make sure we never have cockroaches. I’ll be talking to the vet on Saturday to go over all of this. I’ve already sent him an email asking him to check and see why fleas, ticks and spiders weren’t on the list of tested items (I don’t know that she’s allergic to fleas, but its definitely a concern, and I already know spiders are a problem). I know he’ll want me to consider doing an allergy vaccine for Reyna, but that’s just not going to happen. I’ll just make sure she has plenty of Benadryl during high pollen days.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Wow! That is quite a list. At least you can feel like you got your money's worth.

On the plus side, I don't see cat hair on the list. That's probably a good thing.

German Shepherd Mom said...

Yeah, I was very happy to see that she tested not allergic to cat hair and human dander.