Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Earritations

Duncan's left ear has been bothering him for a bit, so I finally took him to the vet to get it checked. I swear, the fact that it took me so long to get him there isn't because I'm a bad parent, its just because the pups have been costing me a fortune and I can't afford to go for low-level problems. The only reason I took him last week is because he's started indicating that the ear has become more aggravating, and the last thing I need is for him to collapse on the floor at the rally trial this weekend, grinding his ear into the floor because it itches. So, Friday we went to the vet and got some ointment. It does seem to be helping, although Duncan shoots me dirty looks every time I clean his ear and reapply the goo.

As far as I know, Duncan's not had any seizures since that really bad weekend. He still has some off behaviors, though, so I mentioned them to the vet while we were there. The options seem to be that Duncan is either taking a really, really long time to come back to normal, or he's having partial seizures that I don't see. I'm not completely sure which of those options worries me the most....

Reyna seems to be slowly but steadily improving with the new diet. I'm not ready to say she's all better, but I think she's headed that direction. Knock on wood. Of the three pups, she's the one most bothered by the nasty heat (current forecast shows temps of 100 for Thursday, Friday and Saturday - ugh!), and she's pretty lethargic even in the A/C. I'm not sure if we're going to go to the hospital this Friday - the rooms on the floors she's assigned to stay pretty warm. She had a good visit last Friday, though. She was able to do a bit over 2 hours, and I credit a lot of that to the 20 minutes she spent adoring a 15 week old infant. She absolutely loved that baby. The nice thing was that the family requested we come in and they were totally fine with Reyna being as close to the baby as she could get. They seemed to think it was a distinct possibility they'd still be there this Friday, so if we go, I'm going to make sure Reyna gets to see the baby again. You know, I've got to start carrying cards with my email address on them and asking people to send me copies of the pictures they take. I know they got some great shots of Reyna and her baby last week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope everyone continues to get better and all of you try to stay cool!!!!!
Good luck at Duncan's rally trial!!!
:)Love, Mom

John Van said...

Tell Reyna I said to quit hogging the AC vent. There's plenty to go around...

Anonymous said...

Yes Bruno and I fought the earritation last summer. Vet said humidity was the cause and I had to clean his ears every other day and we went through two rounds of drops. It finally cleared up when the humidity went down in the fall...sorry to say. At first he fought the drops and cleaning because his ears hurt. As they healed, he got okay with it. Hang in there. Mary B.