Pages

Friday, July 11, 2008

Good And Bad

A little over a year ago, I bought an orthopedic dog bed for Reyna. I wasn’t sure if she’d use it or eat it, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that she really likes sleeping on it. Duncan also really likes the bed, but of course they can’t both be on the bed at the same time. Over the past few months, I’ve noticed that Duncan has looked very depressed when he’s realized that Reyna was already using the bed when he decided he wanted to nap on it. At times, he would sneak onto the bed when she was distracted, just so he could beat her to it. Last week, I decided to order another orthopedic bed just for Duncan. It arrived Wednesday, and as soon as I put it on the floor, he hopped right on it. Thursday, I saw Reyna get on the new bed once, and Duncan got on the old bed once, but they pretty much kept to the new pattern (Reyna on the older burgundy, Duncan on the new blue).



Thursday was also Duncan’s trip to the vet. Turns out he has a viral infection (basically a cold) with conjunctivitis in his eyes and a secondary bacterial sinus infection. The vet said he prefers Duncan not run this weekend, but he also said that if Duncan was acting like he felt okay, then we could give it a try. He wrote us a “please excuse Duncan from PE today” note, just in case, so that I could get my trial money back. He gave me some antibiotics to help clear up the sinus infection, and the rest of it is just a time issue. Duncan also had a nasty spot under his chin, which I figure he acquired during playtime with Reyna. When the vet checked it, he realized that there was a fair amount of nasty gunk under the crusty fur, so we shaved the fur off to let the spot heal. Naturally, Duncan tried to scratch the skin off afterwards, so I used another t-shirt to keep it as protected as possible.


Today, the spot under the chin is looking better, and Duncan has stopped scratching it. He was an excellent traveler, and has been very playful all day. He’s acting like he feels much better, so we’re going to give the trial a whirl tomorrow. His run isn’t scheduled until afternoon, so that should give him time to perk up is he’s feeling a bit off in the morning.

No comments: